- The initial screening process performing professional architectural/engineering services to determine your property Compliance Tier.
- Performing professional services to analyze the building and prepare construction drawings.
- Assist in selecting a qualified contractor to submit your plans.
Wood-Frame Seismic Retrofit Program Screening Form
The purpose of the Screening Form is to confirm which buildings are subject to San Francisco’s new Wood-Frame Seismic Retrofit Program and which buildings are exempt. If your building is exempt, the form will help you secure your exemption.
If you received a Screening Form with a letter from the Department of Building Inspection, you are required to complete and submit the form even if you believe your building is exempt from the program.
There is no fee to submit your Screening Form. However, in most cases, the form must be completed by a licensed design professional, who is allowed to negotiate a fee with you.
3 Easy Steps
JKA is committed to help you meet the requirements of San Francisco Building Code Chapter 34B: Mandatory Earthquake Retrofit of Wood-Frame Buildings as efficiently as possible.
Here’s how it works . . .
- Step 1: Hire a licensed design professional (architect or engineer) to complete and submit a screening form by 9-15-2014. JKA can perform this service for a flat fee of $500. Please call us at (925) 817-1112 or (925) 933-3914 to set up an appointment with an engineer. Be prepared to answer the following questions:
- Was your building built before 1978?
- Is your building two stories with a basement or greater?
- Does your building contain 5 or more dwelling units?
- Is your building wood-frame (Type V) construction?
- If you answer ‘no’ to any of the above questions, you are exempt from the program. Have your engineer submit the screening form (requires engineer’s seal) and you are done.
- If you answer ‘yes’ to all of the above questions, please continue reading – you will be required to complete Steps 2 – 3:
- Step 2: Retain your design professional’s services to analyze the building and prepare construction drawings. JKA can perform these services for a reasonable fee.
- Step 3: Hire a licensed building contractor to submit your plans. JKA would be happy to help you select a qualified builder. Plans must be submitted for building permit according to the following schedule:
- School, assembly or care facility (Tier I): 9-15-2015
- 15 or more dwelling units (Tier II): 9-15-2016
- Commercial building (Tier IV): 9-15-2018
- All other buildings (Tier III): 9-15-2017
- You will have two years to complete the work from this deadline.
A Safer San Francisco
When all is said and done, the City of San Francisco estimates each soft-story retrofit to cost from $60,000 to $130,000. Please note, however, that every project is different. JKA’s design fees are a percentage of this total cost and we take great care to provide not only structurally appropriate solutions, but cost-effective ones as well. Our goal is to make your building and the City of San Francisco a safer place to be.
Call: (925) 933-3914 or (925) 817-1112
For the inquisitive, here is a list of some good background and supplemental information (Note: These links will open in new windows and are not part of jaxkneppers.com. Don’t worry, they’re safe):
- Briefing/Workshop: Mandatory Soft Story Retrofit Program – October 28, 2013 (PDF)
- Brown Bag Lunch Talk: Mandatory Soft Story Retrofit Program – October 3, 2013 (PDF)
- Seismically Sound by Tom Hui, San Francisco Apartment Association Magazine July 2013
- U.S. Geological Survey Fact Sheet 151-99, Understanding Earthquake Hazards In the San Francisco Bay Region – Progress Toward a Safer Future Since the 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake.